Sunday, August 9, 2015

Makeover Mania


It's that time again, BACK TO SCHOOL is among us, my friends. I am so happy to be able to link up with the awesome Tara from 4th Grade Frolics


This will be year two with my tables. I absolutely love tables instead of desks. That being said, I hated the look of my tables.


They were classic looking tables and the browns mismatched (which drove me bonkers). I saw on Pinterest a blog about chalkboard paint on tables. When I did a little more research, I found this blog from Sprout Classrooms about DIY: Whiteboard Tables. I thought that I could totally do this to my tables!

First, I went a bought a primer and the Rust-Oleum Dry Erase Paint. I bought both at Lowes. The primer was $8.00 and the Dry Erase Paint was $19.99 a box (I bought two boxes).

I also bought two FOAM rollers. This is a must with the Dry Erase Paint! Next, we started priming. I sweet talked the hubs into helping me. :)



Now, if I could do anything over it would be this: possibly buy white paint. I only bought primer and for sure took a chance with not sanding down the tables. It took six coats of primer to get the coverage that I was happy with. I wondered if I would have primed with a couple coats and then painted them white, would it have even came out better?

On to the Dry Erase Paint. It comes in two cans, Part A and Part B. The box says you have 60 minutes to use it once you have mixed the two. I was pretty nervous about this part and set a timer. I mixed the two and then poured it in the tray. I know it says 60 minutes, but once you get your groove going, I got through three coats on each table (seven tables) within 30 minutes. I used both boxes so I got a total of six coats on each table.

The most torturous part of this process was waiting three days for the tables to be marker ready. Pure Torture!!


While waiting for the paint to be marker ready, I decided to add a little duct tape to the edges to match my animal print theme. 

Hi, my name is Krista and I am a duct tape addict. 



Finally, it was test time. I absolutely LOVED the final look but would it hold up to markers?

*Spoiler Alert: It did!! Woohoo!!!!




video
So stinking happy with the final result! I cannot wait for my 2nd graders to use their tables!

This was my big makeover, but I did a few mini makeovers, too. 


My storage bins were the classic white bins. I have animal print and neon colors in my room so I picked up some spray paint from Lowes (they should know me by name by now) and went to work. Here's the final result: 
I love them! Such a great pop of color in my room. 



The next thing I tackled was my counter top. My very yellow and outdated counter top...

I tried to cover the cabinets with some black paper and give it a little pizazz. It did great for about three years, but it was time for a whole new look. Once again, I found myself on Pinterest ( I seem to find myself there a lot, ha ha). I saw where someone hot-glued fabric to painters tape to makeover a table. Light-bulb!!

I decided to give it a try on my counter top! The result makes me smile!

The Bubbly Blonde made these amazing subway art posters that were perfect for my area! I'm pretty happy with the final product. :)

Hopefully, I am done making things over for the year... Nah!! Not even close! Ha ha! 

Happy Makeover, friends! 


4 comments:

  1. I so want to do this to my room!! Looks fantastic!
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Karen! I think you should totally do it to your room. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lucky that you can do that to your tables and counter, they look fantastic! Cute theme too! Have a great school year.☺��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Jackie! It took some convincing with my principal but he loves it. :)

      Delete